Kale and Beet Salad
Sweet Lemon and Miso Tahini Dressing (Makes about 1 ¼ cup)
• 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) fresh lemon juice, or to taste
• 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) raw or roasted tahini
• 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons mirin or white wine
• 2 tablespoons unpasteurized honey
• 2 tablespoons light miso
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Fine sea salt, if needed
• 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, leaves torn into pieces or sliced
• 2 beets, including greens, greens torn or sliced, roots peeled and coarsely grated
• Fine sea salt
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup (40 to 80 grams) drained sauerkraut, homemade (page 23) or store-bought
• 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, flesh scooped out and chopped
• Fresh lemon juice, if needed
• 1/4 cup (35 grams) toasted hulled pumpkin seeds or raw hemp seeds
Make the dressing: In a blender, combine all the ingredients, except the salt, with 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) water and blend until smooth, adding a little more water or oil if it’s too thick (you want a fairly thin, pourable consistency so it will evenly coat the kale). Taste and add salt and/or more lemon juice if needed.
Make the salad: Put the kale and beet greens in a large bowl; add a large pinch of salt and massage the greens for about a minute, until they start to wilt. Add the grated beets and sauerkraut and toss. Add dressing to coat and massage some dressing into the salad (you will have leftover dressing) to further wilt the greens, then fold in the avocado. Taste and adjust the seasonings with lemon juice and/or salt if needed. Serve topped with the pumpkin seeds and extra dressing alongside for drizzling.
Recipe courtesy of Cultured Foods For Your Kitchen: 100 Recipes Featuring Bold Flavors of Fermentation by Leda Scheintaub.